Tuesday, December 20, 2011

All's Quiet Before the Ax Falls

It's Tuesday, the weather at the farm is gorgeous, though very cold. Kids are home for Christmas break this week, and our good friends are coming on Thursday to be with us during Christmas. I suppose we will be coming up with some sort of game plan when the ax does fall on us, but for now we are trying to focus on Christmas and pretend to have a normal life for a few days. A normal life, what is that? Do any of us really have a normal life?

It's important that above all we remember that during this season there are many others out there who are worse off than ourselves, homeless, sick, hungry, thirsty, and without hope. I am getting close to being without hope, but not this week. I may be facing homelessness because an uninformed and prejudiced judge wants to help a bank steal my farm, but I'm not homeless today. I may be tired and weary from dealing with this foreclosure mess for three years now, but the most that is wrong with me is sleep deprivation and emotional and mental fatigue. I am still healthy, my family is still healthy, and we will spend Christmas week appreciating our farm for what little time remains to us.There are many things we need to do in order to rid our lives of stress and really appreciate each day. I was once told by my friend George Arafat that the work I did as a business consultant and an accountant did not suit me, he knew I loved the horses and wanted to spend my time working with them and training them, not being stuck in an office all the time. His words to me one time were, "Donna, you are a fish out of water", referring to the fact that I should have been on a ranch full time training horses and working with the livestock, because that is what I enjoyed the most. But one of the things he did not understand about me was that I really loved my work in the office, because I was helping people, and I get great satisfaction when I know I have helped a business client through a stressful event. It is important to me, even now, that people should be helped, if they need it and they ask for it, each and every day, and maybe even if they don't ask for help.

Sometimes people just need help and you go out there and do it, without expecting anything in return and without remorse. Sometimes people get mad at you for trying to help and they accuse you of interfering and shout at you to mind your own business. But for the majority of us who think we can do it all ourselves, multi-task a hundred things in a day, act like super moms and dads and keep on each day like we are unstoppable, go get some help and learn how to delegate. Take the stress off a little at a time, and give tasks to others, even if its for one day. It won't kill you to pass a little work off to someone else, and it might free you up to do something you enjoy doing, if even only for a few minutes.

This holiday season, I want to wish all my family, extended family friends, clients, business associates, and everyone else a Safe, Happy, Healthy holiday and a bright, serene New Year. May you all be blessed and continue to enjoy peace and health for many years to come.

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment